Baylor Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQs

Tuition and Billing

How much do the Baylor Online Graduate programs cost?
For each of the Baylor Online Graduate programs, tuition is based on the number of credits for which you register. Current tuition rates can be found on the Tuition & Financial Aid page.

Are there additional fees assessed on top of tuition?
There is a $100 administrative fee assessed in addition to tuition each semester for the online programs.

Can any fees be waived for online students?
If a late financial settlement fee is assessed, students are eligible for a one-time courtesy waiver. All other fees are mandatory and cannot be waived.

How much is the enrollment deposit, and when is it due?
There is a standard non-refundable enrollment deposit of $250 programs due once admitted.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?
No, federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit.

Will I be able to view my award package before submitting the deposit?
Yes, you will be able to view your award prior to deposit.

How do I view my bill?
Once you are registered for a term, you will receive an email from the Cashier’s Office containing instructions for viewing your charges and completing Financial Settlement. You will be able to view your charges in the E-Bill System and either pay in full or enroll in a Payment Plan. More information on your charges and financial settlement can be found on the Student Financial Services page for EdD/MSW/CSD (trimesters).

What is Financial Settlement?
Financial Settlement is the final phase of registration each term you attend Baylor.

Once your charges are available for the term, you must complete the following two steps:

  • Confirm your attendance and financial responsibility in BearWeb
    • Student Financial Services > Student Account > Confirm Attendance & Financial Responsibility
    • If you do not owe a balance, you must still confirm your attendance and financial responsibility.
  • Pay your charges
    • View your charges in the E-Bill System and either pay in full or enroll in a Payment Plan

What are the accepted forms of payment?
Baylor’s accepted payment methods can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

How does my employer go about paying the school?
Baylor University will work with employers or other third party sponsors. We require that the student send us proof of the employer’s willingness to pay (in the form of a voucher or line of credit) and then we will invoice the employer after the add/drop period.

Are payment plan options available for online students?
To make the process of paying for your Baylor education more manageable, Payment Plans are available to all undergraduate, graduate (including online programs), law, and seminary students, with the exception of Online MBA students. Plan enrollment is required each term in which you participate in a Payment Plan.

To complete financial settlement by participating in a Payment Plan, enrollment must be complete by the due date.

Payment plan details can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

Types of Payment Plans

TypeDown PaymentSubsequent Installments
Trimester Standard
25% + $50 Setup Fee
Trimester Deferred
$100 Setup Fee Only
Quarter Standard
33.33% + $40 Setup Fee
Quarter Deferred
$80 Setup Fee Only

What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?
If a student fails to pay by the due date, they will be assessed a $100 late fee the day after the due date.  Once classes begin and the student has still not paid, we review course participation for activity. If the student is not participating, we will cancel their schedule and they will not be responsible for their tuition and fees for the term. If the student is participating and has not paid, they will be able to continue with classes without interruption.

If they are not paid in full or current on the payment plan for the term prior to the next term’s registration, a registration and transcript hold will be placed on their account.

If I’m eligible to receive a refund, what is the process?
Students should set up direct deposit in order to receive a refund on a credit balance after tuition and fees are paid.

What is the Title IV Authorization?
By completing the Title IV Authorization, found in BearWeb, Baylor can apply your federal aid to all your charges, such as medical insurance, and other miscellaneous charges.  

Who can I contact at Baylor for billing and payment questions?
Contact Student Financial Services. Please be sure to identify yourself as an online student.

Return to top

Baylor University Student Account Setup

What is my Baylor account?
Your student account is your BearWeb account. This will allow access to student services, your Baylor University email and your Baylor student portal.

When will I get access to my BearWeb student account?
You will receive an automatic email once you pay your enrollment deposit, which will provide your BearID and instructions on how to access your BearWeb Webmail account and create your student account login.

How do I set up my Baylor ID and Password?
Please visit the Information Technology Services welcome page for instructions on setting up your Baylor ID and Password.

How do I set up my Baylor email address?
Please visit the Information Technology Services welcome page for instructions on setting up your Baylor ID and Password.

Return to top

Financial Aid at Baylor

Are there any school-specific supplemental financial aid forms I need to complete?
If you are a new student, and are planning to apply for federal student aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Entrance Counseling and the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What federal student aid is available to graduate students?
The federal student aid graduate students are eligible to apply for include the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Learn more about the types of federal student aid.

Why are graduate students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant or the Federal Subsidized Loan?
The Department of Education awards Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need and have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees. The Department of Education does not evaluate need or income for loans at the graduate or professional level. Therefore, graduate students are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant nor the Direct Subsidized Loan.

Are there academic standards I must meet to continue to receive federal student aid?
Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to continue receiving financial aid. Learn more about Baylor University SAP requirements.

What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?
Students must be registered at 5 credit hours per term, to receive federal student aid.

How do I determine full-time or half-time enrollment in the Baylor online programs?
For EdD, MSW and CSD trimesters, full-time status requires at least 9 credit hours and half-time status requires at least 5 credit hours.

What are private loans?
Private education loans, also known as alternative loans, are offered by private lenders to help students bridge the gap between the cost of education and the amount the government allows you to borrow in federal loans. Lenders offer private educational loans with different rates, fees, repayment terms, and approval requirements.

Are private loans offered at Baylor University?
Baylor University does not offer private loans. Baylor utilizes ELMSelect, a neutral lender and product comparison tool, to present the lenders on our preferred lender list to you.

Does Baylor offer the College Access Loan for Texas residents?
The College Access Loan (CAL) Program provides an alternative type of educational loan to Texas students that attend colleges and universities in Texas. Baylor receives an allocation of funding from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board each year. You do not have to demonstrate financial need by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to receive this loan, which may be used to cover all or part of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

However, you must deduct your eligibility for Unsubsidized Loans (even if you do not wish to pursue a Direct Loan) from the cost of attending Baylor to determine the amount of the CAL loan you could receive. Requested loan amounts will NOT be reduced until the student has completed their loan disclosure. Visit the Texas Higher Education site for more information and to apply.

When will I receive my financial aid award?
Financial aid awards are typically prepared within 7-10 business days after being admitted if a FAFSA is on file for the year.

How do I accept my financial aid award?
Your federal loan eligibility will appear listed on your award page in BearWeb. From there, you will be able to accept the entire loan amount, a portion or decline the offer.

Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered on my award letter?
No, you do not have to accept the full amount offered. Students are encouraged to borrow only what is needed.You can choose to accept all, part or none of your financial aid award. You may reject your aid in BearWeb.

Does my Direct Loan eligibility cover the entire cost of the program?
Assuming you are eligible for both the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, the aid will cover the current academic year you are enrolled in.

When will loans disburse to my student account?
Federal student loans do not disburse earlier than 10 days prior to the start of classes.

Can I use loan funds to cover additional expenses such as living, books, supplies, etc.?
The total cost of attendance (COA) for the academic year includes tuition, fees, supplies and living expenses. If there is eligibility for additional loan funds based on the COA, you are able to use those resources to cover expenses such as books, supplies, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Is there an immersion required for this program? If so, will I be able to use the loan funds to cover these expenses?
Yes, there is an immersion required for EdD@Baylor and MPH@Baylor. If there is a surplus credit from your loans, you may use those funds to cover expenses associated with your immersion.

Who can I contact at Baylor for financial aid questions?
The Student Financial Services office at Baylor University is more than happy to answer your questions. Please complete the Ask Student Financial Services form online.

Return to top

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an online application the Department of Education uses to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.

What is the Baylor University FAFSA school code?
The Baylor FAFSA school code is 003545.

Do I need to include my social security number (SSN) in my application for admission to be eligible for aid?
Yes, you will need to include your SSN in your application for admissions, in order for Baylor to retrieve your FAFSA from the federal database. Please contact Baylor Student Financial Services] via phone at 252-710-2611 to verbally provide your SSN. Or securely send a copy of your SSN card via email at to verify your information and update your account.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA?
If you are applying for graduate school, you are considered an independent student, and do not need to include your parents’ information to complete the FAFSA.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measurement of your ability to contribute toward your educational costs. As a graduate/professional student your EFC is not a factor in your eligibility for federal student loans.

When should I complete the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is available every October 1st for the upcoming academic year. New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. Continuing students will need to submit a FAFSA each year they plan to receive federal student aid.

Please reference the chart below to determine which FAFSA to complete based on your desired start date:

StartTermFAFSA Year
January 2023
May 2023
August 2023
January 2024
May 2024

Do I need to complete the FAFSA each year?
Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each award year for which you are or plan to be a student.

What constitutes an academic year for federal student aid?
An academic year is the year for which financial aid is used to fund your education. Generally, this is the 12-month period that begins on July 1 of one year and ends on June 30 of the following year.

Return to top

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

What is the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a federal loan offered to students to help with the cost of education. The Federal Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income or financial need.

What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income. In order to apply for federal student aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male (must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree program
  • Be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Not currently be in default on previous federal student loans
  • Not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit

Learn more about federal student aid eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the aggregate loan limit?
The aggregate loan limit is the total amount that you may borrow in federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate study. In addition to borrowing limitations based on the cost of attendance for the program, students are also limited in terms of lifetime borrowing. The maximum aggregate loan limit for federal loans is $138,500. This amount does not include PLUS loans, nor private loans.

If the total loan amount you receive over the course of your education reaches the aggregate loan limit, you are not eligible to receive additional loans. However, if you repay some of your loans to bring your outstanding loan debt below the aggregate loan limit, you could then borrow again, up to the amount of your remaining eligibility under the aggregate loan limit. You can learn more about graduate annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?
Log in on the homepage to view your federal student loan borrowing history, and loan servicer details. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

What is the difference between a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct Subsidized Loan?
Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on subsidized loans while students are enrolled in their undergraduate program. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to undergraduate and graduate students and does not require demonstration of financial need. The Unsubsidized Loan begins accruing interest as soon as funds are disbursed. Learn more about the difference between unsubsidized and subsidized loans.

How much am I eligible for with the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
Most graduate level students are potentially eligible to receive up to $20,500 per academic year in Direct Unsubsidized Loans. These amounts are based on maximum annual loan limits for students who have not reached their aggregate lifetime loan limit. Students working toward a Master’s in Public Health (MPH) may be eligible to borrow up to a total of $33,000 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan, which is $12,500 more than the annual loan limit for other graduate programs.  Please be aware this amount is subject to change depending on how close a student is to their aggregate loan limit.   To determine eligibility for this loan amount students should complete a FAFSA each academic year. Learn more about graduate annual loan limits.

How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
To apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the current Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate?
The Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate is determined on an annual basis. Learn more about interest rates on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?
There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Unsubsidized loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Return to top

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate or professional degree students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn about Direct PLUS Loans.

Do Direct PLUS Loans affect my aggregate loan limit?
Only Direct Subsidized/Direct Unsubsidized Loans (formerly referred to as Stafford loans) and federal loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program count toward your aggregate loan limit.

What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
A credit check will be conducted when applying for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. In addition to the federal student aid basic eligibility criteria, applicants cannot have an adverse credit history.

What are the credit criteria to receive the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
One of the eligibility requirements to receive a Graduate PLUS Loan is that you must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check is performed to determine whether a Graduate PLUS Loan applicant meets this requirement.

How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If approved for the Grad PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance as determined by Baylor.

When can I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
You can apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan within 180 days of the start of your program, or once you are enrolled.

How do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
In order to apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS loan, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once you have completed the FAFSA, apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan by completing the credit application on the Federal Student Aid website. Also complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN).

What are the next steps if I’m approved for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If approved, complete the Graduate PLUS Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
If you are denied the Graduate PLUS loan, you may reapply with an endorser or follow the instructions on the Department of Education’s website to appeal the denial.

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan current interest rate?
The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year, and is available on the Federal Student Aid website’s Interest Rates and Fees page.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?
There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Direct Graduate PLUS Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Return to top

Loan Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?
You can defer payment on your federal student loans if you are enrolled at least half-time. You should be aware that although you can defer payments while you are in school, interest will still accrue on your loan(s).

Your Unsubsidized Loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence or withdraw from the program. Most private loans also have deferred payment options while you are in school; however, you will need to check with your loan servicer.

When do I have to repay my loan?
After you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During this period, you’ll receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you will be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. You are not required to pay while in school, however if you choose to, there is no penalty to prepay. Learn more about repayment timelines.

What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?
The Department of Education (ED) offers multiple options for repayment. You may visit the ED website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?
Yes, visit the ED website for repayment estimators.

Can I consolidate my graduate loans and my undergraduate loans?
A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to consolidate (combine) multiple federal education loans into one loan including both graduate and undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation.

Are there any loan forgiveness options available?
In certain circumstances, all or a portion of a borrower’s federal student loans may be forgiven under the federal government’s loan forgiveness program. Please review the Department of Education website for more information on federal loan forgiveness programs.

Return to top

Military Education Benefits

How do I apply for military education benefits?
To begin the process of applying for eligible military education benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the VA at 1-(888)-442-4551.

How many credits do I need to take to be considered full-time for military benefits?
Please review the Full Time Status Enrollment Chart. You will receive your tuition and fee payments if eligible regardless of full-time status. You can also receive a prorated housing allowance as long as the student is attending more than 50%.

What documents are required to process military education benefits?
Visit to access and manage your VA education benefits. You must submit a Request for Certification Form to the VA Benefits Office every term that you want to use your benefits. Please note that during the Summer semester, each part of term (Minimester, Summer I, Summer II, Full Summer) are considered separate non-standard terms and you must request each non-standard term that you want to be certified for on the Request for Certification Form.

If you are applying for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, complete the Education Benefits Application, which generates a request for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE is mailed to you within 6-8 weeks from submitting the application. A copy of the COE must be provided via email at or by phone at 254-710-1814.

How often do I need to request recertification?
Each time you register for classes, a request for certification must be submitted notifying our office you are requesting to submit their enrollment to the VA.

Will my military benefits cover the entire cost of the program?
Please visit the GI Bill comparison tool, to view what your VA benefits will cover at Baylor University. You can view the VA’s annual tuition and fee payment rates. You will need to monitor their remaining annual tuition and fee cap funds by logging into the VA’s payment history account.

What are the eligibility factors for the Post-9/11 GI bill?
You are potentially eligible if you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept.10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

What other military benefits does Baylor University accept aside from the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Visit the Baylor VA Education Benefits page for the list of approved military benefits.

Are the Baylor online programs eligible for the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program?
Yes, however students approval depends on their VA assigned case manager.

What is the deadline to apply for VA education benefits?
As soon as you have registered for classes, turn in the Request for Certification Form to the VA Benefits Office. After the VA Benefits Office submits a certification to the VA, it can take the VA up to six weeks to process. If you turn in your Request for Certification after the deadline set by the VA Benefits Office, it could cause a delay in payments.

How do I transfer benefits to/from a family member, and which benefits/family members are eligible?
Transferring of benefits questions should be directed to the Department of Defense using milConnect, “Transfer my education benefits.”

What is the current payment rate of benefits, including the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?
The tuition and fee payment rate, and MHA are determined at the beginning of each military academic year on August 1st. The current rate table is located on the Education and Training page of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site

Because Baylor is a private university, students who receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are subject to a maximum tuition and fee reimbursement per military academic year (August 1 through July 31). The amount of the national cap changes each year on August 1, and is available to be used from August 1 to July 31 of the following year. When VA benefits are calculated, the amount of this national cap must be expended before Yellow Ribbon Program benefits can be awarded.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
The Yellow Ribbon Program allows degree-granting colleges and universities in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual national maximum cap per military academic year. Participating institutions choose their contribution amount, the VA matches that amount, and issue payment directly to the school.

Veterans who are utilizing Post-9/11 GI Benefits and who are entitled to 100% of their benefit may be eligible. Additional information on the Yellow Ribbon Program available benefits and eligibility, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Do the Baylor Online Graduate programs participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?
No; participation in the Yellow Ribbon program is only available to a limited number of eligible undergraduate students.

Does Baylor accept the Hazlewood Act?
Baylor University is not a public institution and therefore is not eligible for participation in this Texas program. For more information about the Hazelwood Act please visit the Texas Veterans Commission website.

Who can I contact at Baylor for questions about using Military Education Benefits?
For questions regarding the use of your military education benefits, contact or 254-710-1814.

Return to top

Tax Benefits for Education

How do I qualify for a tuition tax credit?
For details on tax benefits for education, see IRS Publication 970. Tax Benefits for Higher Education, which provides detailed information. Baylor University is unable to provide tax advice. We urge you to contact your tax advisor or the IRS at 800-829-1040 or if you have any questions regarding the HOPE or Lifetime Learning Tax Credits.

What is the 1098-T Form?
It is an informational form filed with the Internal Revenue Service to report the amounts billed to you for qualified tuition, related expenses, and other related information. The primary purpose of the IRS Form 1098‐T is to inform you that we have provided this required information to the IRS.

What information is included in the 1098-T Form?
Form 1098-T reports amounts paid for qualified tuition, scholarship and grants processed in the academic year to students enrolled in courses at Baylor for which they receive academic credit. The information reported on the 1098-T form helps students evaluate whether he or she is eligible for an educational tax credit..

How do I obtain my 1098-T Form?
1098-Ts will be mailed or available in the E-Bill System by January 31st each year. Students are encouraged to consent to electronic delivery. Instructions for granting or revoking consent to electronic delivery can be found here.

Return to top

Revised: January 2020