How School Lunch Programs Support Children’s Health, Even From A Distance
Understanding Childhood Nutrition Issues
- A 2019 study found that one in five adolescents and one in four young adults have prediabetes. According to the study, the adjusted prevalence of prediabetes is also higher in male individuals and in people with obesity.
- Data from the 2015 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey showed that one in five youths had high total cholesterol, low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, or high non-HDL cholesterol, which is a risk factor for developing cardiovascular disease later in life.
Why Healthy School Lunches Are Working
- Comparing 2012 to 2014, the percentage of students choosing fruit significantly increased from 54 percent to 66 percent and fruit consumption remained high at 74 percent.
- Student selection of fruit increased by 9 percent for each additional type of fruit offered with the meal.
- Entree consumption increased significantly from 71 percent to 84 percent, in turn decreasing the amount of food waste.